Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Flying the Flag

To my knowledge, I was the only one on my street flying the flag yesterday, July 4. I had it out on July 2, when the Declaration of Independence was signed, and July 3 as well for good measure. My neighborhood is filled with smart people, mostly liberals. They see themselves as citizens of the world. I like these people, and I share much of their thinking, but I think they are missing something important.

I am a smart person myself, and I am a Liberal. And as such, I recognize that this country is the best country in the world, and probably the best country that ever existed. I believe the Sun rose in the West in '76 and most particularly in '87, shining most brightly on Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, Adams, and Washington. It was a time of great fortune for humanity. A lucky break. The world would be a hopeless place today if these men had not lived. Such a sentimental view, I know, is hard to forgive. Even my wife thinks my patriotism is naive and culture-centric.

In my defense, just let me say that I don't think that this is yet the best country that it could be, or that it is well run. I share Churchill's opinion of Democracy, and I am trying to find that alternative that works better.

7/5/2005 11:57 PM

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:59:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

JJ, sadly I must confess to having that horrible affliction, I am a political conservative *sob*. Please do not confuse a political conservative with the religous right. Different batch of Fruit Loops there.

My neighborhood is quite a blend of liberals and conservatives and most flew thier flags over the weekend. The few that did not tend to be "chumps" anyway.

Seriously though, despite the faults of the men in Philadelphia and the few sad flaws in thier work, overall, in crafting the constitution they were an example of what a group of individuals can accomplish when they step outside of themselves and focus on the greater good. Hate to think of where we would be had they not been individuals so large of spirit and facile of thought.

"Miracle at Philadelphia" was such an appropriate title

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:49:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I'm hoping for a miracle in Iraq this year. I can't figure out whether that's conservative or liberal.

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:12:00 AM, Blogger mal said...

JJ, Wanting an end to it is not liberal or conservative, I think it is distinctly "American". Historically, we usually (not always) tend to mind our own business internationally and expect the same of others. It is hard for us as a society to continue conflict with out overwhelming provocation, then we are relentless

I would like an end to it too

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:32:00 AM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I think the miracle I'm looking for is not just a military victory, but a political victory. I don't really want it to "end" until they get it right. I think this constitution the Iraqis are writing is the most important thing that is happening in the Middle East.

Getting Puritans from Boston to sit down with slaveholders in Virginia and Catholics in Maryland must have been hard enough. What the Iraqis are facing is much more difficult.

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:35:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

I wish the press would a give clear gestalt of what is going on in Iraq. The flavor of what is reported varies considerably from what I see in letters from service personnel I know.

We can hope that once more a group of individuals will look beyond their own petty interests or pet ideologies to the needs of the generations. From the letters I see, this is a real possibility.

All the lives and treasure spent in this endeavour (ill considered or not) will have been wasted otherwise

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 1:44:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I can't accept that the venture was ill-considered as we had to do something, for Iraq and for ourselves. Any endeavor that would remove Saddam from power could not be wasted. We made a sacrifice partly because the Iraqis, as members of humanity, needed our help. But the hope, the big "tear down this wall" hope that I see, is that Iraq will the center of a strong democratic and economic movement. The key to that is a strong constitution that the people will fight for.

 
At Saturday, July 09, 2005 9:40:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

JJ, I agree, it was not illconsidered and in fact should have been completed in 91. Others here will argue that because no WMD's were found it was a fools errand. After the election turnout, I can not agree with that view point

 

Post a Comment

<< Home