Thursday, January 12, 2006

James Kunstler Is Depressing

I've been reading James Kunstler's sort-of-a-blog-with-writing-samples that includes his "Manifesto" describing the less than desirable expected future for the US.

I get e-mail from people who object to what they construe to be an excessively pessimistic view of our national scene. Well, what if you suggested to the people of Germany in 1936 that Dresden would be turned into an ashtry within a decade and that Berliners would cut down all the trees in the Tiergarten to heat their homes? ...

He's very negative, but unfortunately, I agree with most of what he says, which is depressing. He's not a fan of Wal-Mart, Las Vegas, strip cities, suburban sprawl or government ineptitude. I guess the difference is that I still hold onto hope that we can fix this thing. I think instituting high gas prices now rather than later will go a long way toward ameliorating some of these problems. Instituting a carbon tax will require some critical changes in the way we are governed. We need someone we trust to tell us what the real deal is. Right now, it is the Web that nurtures my hope.

1/12/2006 5:50 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home