Sunday, June 11, 2006

Was Bill Gates in Slytherin?

If you were ever thinking of changing over to Linux, now might be the time to do it. Apparently Microsoft's new update to verify the legitimacy of your OS is apparently a Trojan Horse. It basically changes your system from passive support to active. MS can shut you down at will. Now, I've noticed this happening anyway when MS has a "security" upgrade. They shut my system down. No matter what I have going on. Even with their own software. It has infuriated me of course. I usually lose something I considered valuable. Maybe my computer and I are already in deep doo-doo. I don't know.

Have I ever told you, I also hate their software? Looks great. Less useful. Lots of crashes. Bulimious bloatware. I've also got issues with AOL for the same sort of meddling, and same sort of crashing.

Why do I have the feeling that every upgrade is roughly equivalent to a home invasion? Are my gestalt enemy sensors going hypercritical on me? [ed.: He wants to know if you think he's paranoid.]

6/11/2006 9:22 PM

3 Comments:

At Monday, June 12, 2006 2:50:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

That kind of crap used to bother me, too, until one day I changed my outlook. I decided the thing is not mine after all - it's theirs - and for some reason I just stopped caring about the operating system. Oh, I still maintain it as best I can, the way I would a leased car, but I have no emotional investment.

If my PC gave up the ghost tomorrow I'd probably not replace it. I'd just keep using the other, Linux (Linspire), machine, or maybe get one of those little Mac boxes (I always prefered my Macs to my PCs anyway). My kid would have to go out and buy his own PC for the games he likes to play.

Nowadays you can probably even get by without a hard drive. I sometimes slide the hard drive out of my PC, put in the Knoppix live CD and get on the internet that way. With more and more online services becoming available (ThinkFree for example), that may be the wave of my future.

As for AOL, don't get me started. I was an early AOL customer, but they turned me off forever when their service was grossly outrun by their marketing.

 
At Monday, June 12, 2006 6:01:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

the only reason I use MS garbage is because the company e mail requires it. My daughters are both on MACs and the OH is thinking of retiring the home machine and going with a MAC. Even though Billy Boy owns a piece of that too.

 
At Monday, June 12, 2006 9:54:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I feel like a dinosaur. Once I was cutting edge, honest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home