Thursday, December 21, 2006

Book List – The Saga

My life is way out of control. Just to give you a little insight, the following books appear on the back of my bed:
  • 1,000 Ways to Checkmate
  • by Fred Reinfeld
  • Chess Rules of Thumb
  • by Albert & Lawrence
  • The Game
  • by Laurie R. King
  • Economics
  • by Samuelson & Nordhaus
  • The Complete Art of War
  • by Sun Tzu & Sun Pin

I am currently reading none of them, though I have read chunks of all and may do so again.

On my chair by the bed are the following books and other items:

  • Darwinism and Its Discontents
  • by Michael Ruse
  • The Language Instinct
  • by Steven Pinker
  • Global Brain
  • by Howard Bloom
  • The Lucifer Principle
  • by Howard Bloom
  • A+ Certification
  • by Myers and Acuña
  • The Forgotten
  • by Faye Kellerman
  • The New Testament and Psalms
  • in English and French
  • S is for Silence
  • by Sue Grafton
  • Biking shorts
  • An issue of Science News
  • A combination lock that glows when you spin it
  • Various unfinished newspaper puzzles
  • Various bills and receipts
  • A cost list for shelving
  • A bank statement
  • The envelope for a Starbucks giftcard
  • A grocery list from last month

I am currently reading or using all of them in some fashion except The Lucifer Principle, which I have finished and intend to read again.

On the window sill I have stacked 8 piles of books, approximately 3 feet high. I have been on Amazon three times this week.

Eventually we will have a party or something, then I will carry everything up to my office and leave it there until I think of it again. By the way, I don’t use my office for anything except storage. I have been wondering whether to call a structural engineer.

12/21/2006 2:10 PM

6 Comments:

At Friday, December 22, 2006 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

You'd feel right at home here, JJ. Within easy reach I have two computers; a dozen LP records and about 20 8-mm video tapes awaiting computerization; a couple of pairs of shoes; a guitar, tripod and bath scale that I never touch; several partially read books (one of them on your list); various magazines and trade rags and so on.

I kind of like things this way. I've been around people who would putter around all day keeping things picked up when all I could do was scream into my head, "RELAX!!"

 
At Friday, December 22, 2006 1:13:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

Oh do share! Which books?

 
At Saturday, December 23, 2006 9:44:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

The Singularity is Near
The Culture of Make Believe
An Inconvenient Truth
Global Brain

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:11:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I think these are all very optimistic books.

 
At Monday, January 01, 2007 10:32:00 AM, Blogger mal said...

no engineer required. Just be sure the stack is correctly cantilevered

Reading chess books is BORING...I never found one that had me sitting on the edge of chair. Besides, the OH is always a sucker for blood chess *G*. I think the fact I can play a decent game was the final proof that I was marriage material *L*

 
At Monday, January 01, 2007 11:35:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I wish I had people to play with. My kids are too busy and my wife is too practical. Also, there is the fact that I hate to lose. Chess is a terrible game! It's a shame I love it. Of course, I feel the same way about football.

You should try the Reinfeld book. It's nothing but puzzles. I'm also addicted to crosswords, jumbles and sudoku. I can't do cryptograms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home