Thursday, December 22, 2005

ANWR Debate

I'm posting a lot of comments on FreeFrankWarner, most of them for the ANWR oil drilling debate. I actually got fisked! My first fisking! Kevin feels that I am taking the Democratic Party line by suggesting that the government has a role to play in controlling the use of fossil fuels. No one wants to drill ANWR except the oil companies and die-hard Republicans. The oil up there will supply no more than a year of our requirements. Why are we even thinking about it?

12/22/2005 5:15 PM

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 26, 2005 7:19:00 AM, Blogger mal said...

the one year supply supposes that there is actually recoverable crude in the area. Right now the only data they have is seismic, which is good, but not definitive. 1 year may not sound like much, but produced over a 20 year period could make the difference between glut and gas lines.

Am I for drilling? NOT HARDLY! I do not particularly care about the caribou and having spent some time on the Slope, I can assure you that no one goes there unless they have to. My opposition is because I think we have a lot further to go in conservation. Updating the CAFE requirements alone would have a greater impact than opening that field for production

 
At Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:33:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

Yes! Failure to tap the largest souce of available clean energy is a priority problem. That source, conservation, is not considered a priority because prices do not reflect reality in this case. The rational response is to take actions which bring the price into line with long term market realities and long term public goals. I'm favoring any means of getting the price to the place it ought to be. Keeping ANWR offline is just one possible measure. The most sensible measure, of course, is a direct tax on any usage of the undesirable commodity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home