Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Gomboc

I am a sucker for new words. GOMBOC is a mathematical word related to turtles in some obscure way. Turtles are pretty cool in themselves. I remember that my father used to bring home box turtles when I was young. I think he let them go after we lost interest in them. I miss turtles. It's hard to find them anymore. I don’t think it’s the fault of Global Warming, but I do suspect that we’re somehow to blame.

I also miss pheasants, but people tell me that’s a good thing. They weren’t native anyway. I’ve had enough of crows and starlings and deer, too, for that matter. OK, I lied. I still like seeing the deer.

2/12/2007 11:59 PM

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:21:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Each pebble was then classified according to how many points of equilibrium each stone had

Wow! Too bad the article didn't describe that process a bit.


Somebody sent me a few new words in an email the other day. They're not as original as "gomboc", but, in case you have not seen them...

foreploy: Any untruth told for the purpose of getting laid.

ignoranus: Someone who is both ignorant and an asshole.

intaxication: The sense of elation you get when receiving a tax refund. Generally crashes when you realize it was your money to begin with.

bozone: The layer that protects certain people from good, but passes bad, ideas.

 
At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:30:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

LOL. I've seen lists like this, but I never remember them when I need them. I've got to remember bozone though. I'm sure there's going to be opportunities to use that. It's kind of like the blood-brain barrier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home