Thursday, May 26, 2005

Pandemics in Contrast and Daniel Pipes

I was so gratified recently to see how vigorously and scientifically the Chinese have been addressing the potential bird flu pandemic. It gives me a little hope for this world. Their effort makes for a startling contrast, however, with the way that polio has been dealt with in the Muslim world. Daniel Pipes has an excellent post on this topic. Pipes is always very informative and obviously extremely knowledgeable about the Middle East. I have read and heard attacks against him, but I find all the accusations to be emotional and partisan.

Pipes certainly holds strong positions, close to obdurate I would say, but he always uses facts to prove his points and never tries to hide his biases. He is not charming or likeable in the least, but I have come to like him and recognize the charm of a kind but intensely serious person. He is one of the adults.

5/26/2005 11:44 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home