Friday, January 05, 2007

Vibrations in My Ear

We try to rescue ourselves with knowledge … at least, I do. I have … I thought I had. When I was … sometime ago, I understood my weakness and resolved, as many have, to keep my distance, to be alone. But fronted with the question, the words … they unreserved came … I do; I will; We are.

Plato tried it too. These images … these shades … are merely light upon the wall, he said. The players strut their remarkable deceptions, parading, knowing what they do. Rise above it friend. If you can see it all, you choose how you respond.

I know, and I have read that consciousness … it skips a beat. Cascading down our sloping thoughts after the echo of the shot is fading. Mere software meant to stitch the tattered image back together.

And yet how real it seems, just when I would have it otherwise.

1/5/2007 11:43 PM
Tags:

4 Comments:

At Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:55:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

>> ..., you choose how you respond.

Sure about that? ;>)

Emotions resisting the realization that reality is an illusion?

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 1:54:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

whoa! going existential here?

We can argue reality. We can admire Descartes solution to it, or not.

The actuality? If the illusion seems unbreakably real, what is the point of questioning it?

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 1:56:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

Or do I completely misunderstand your post?

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:16:00 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

It's just a poem. Sorry 'bout the meter and rhyme. I guess it's called a prose poem.

The key, Steve, is "if you can see it all," i.e. if your understanding is complete. Victor Frankl, who lived through the Holocaust, believed this completely and said that your emotions are the only thing you can choose.

Mal, I'm not really going existential. I believe in an objective universe. I am also aware that we, in the sense of our consciousness, are not really attached to that objective world in any rigorous way. Consciousness is certifiably not what it seems. PET scans have revealed that it takes place after our sensation of it. It is verifiably software. Which means we should be able to reject it when we so choose. Sometimes it would be nice to choose that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home